The Buffalo Grove Park District is a Distinguished Accredited Agency, accredited in 1995 by the Joint Distinguished Park and Recreation Agency Committee of the Illinois Park and Recreation Association and Illinois Association of Park Districts.
The Buffalo Grove Park District was reaccredited in 2001, 2008, 2013 and 2020.
The Buffalo Grove Park District was organized September 22, 1969 as a special purpose unit of government as provided by the Illinois Park District Code.
An elected Board of Park Commissioners consisting of 5 members constitutes the governing body of the Park District. Commissioners are elected to serve 4-year terms. Commissioners serve without compensation. Click here to see the Park Board of Commissioners.
Commissioners elect from among themselves a President, Vice President, Treasurer, and other officers as may be deemed necessary by the Board. These officers of the Board are normally selected at the May annual meeting or as soon thereafter as possible. Each officer holds office until the next annual meeting, or until his successor is chosen.
The Board appoints a Secretary, Treasurer, Attorney and Executive Director, and determines their duties and term of appointment at the May annual meeting.
The boundaries of the Park District are 98% contiguous with those of the Village of Buffalo Grove except in the southern and western parts of the district which includes areas from the Village of Arlington Heights and Village of Wheeling. At present, total land area of the Park District are approximately 9.04 square miles.
Park District population is approximately 40,804.
Equalized assessed value of real estate for 2021 is $1,720,460,767.
The 2021 tax rate in Cook County is .612 and .490551 in Lake County.
Fiscal Year Budget
The operating and capital budget for fiscal year 2022-2023 is $21,035,361.
The fiscal year of the Park District begins on May 1 and concludes on April 30.
Standard and Poors, New York, affirmed rating of Park District General Obligations Bonds AA+ in the fall of 2017.
The Park District maintains 51 park sites, totaling 417.62 acres of land. Facilities include the Raupp Museum, Alcott Center, Community Arts Center, Emmerich Park (recreation building and maintenance facility), Rick Drazner Park (recreation building and maintenance facility), Golf Dome, Spray ‘N Play, Willow Stream Outdoor Pool, and Fitness Center.
Programs & Services
The Park District provides a full range of activities and services year round. Recreation programs include performing arts, Clubhouse (a before and after school care program), summer day camps, preschool, athletic programs such as soccer, basketball, flag football and softball, learn to swim programs, senior activities and trips, special interest classes for youth and adults, and special events like Tots in the Parks, Movies Under the Stars, Summer Concert Series, National Night Out and the Huck Finn Fishing Derby. Leisure services are provided for special needs residents through the Northwest Special Recreation Association.
58 full-time staff are employed and supported with more than 300 part-time and 400 seasonal staff.
· National Recreation and Park Association
· Illinois Association of Park Districts
· Illinois Park and Recreation Association
· Suburban Parks and Recreation Association
· Buffalo Grove Area Chamber of Commerce
Park District Risk Management Association
The Park District Risk Management Association’s (PDRMA) guidelines help park and recreation agencies implement a comprehensive loss prevention program. The risk management review serves as a guide to evaluate, measure and track a member’s implementation of recommended risk
management practices. The risk management review forms and processes are a collaborative effort, designed to educate members, provide resources to address common risks that arise in the park and recreation field, and, most importantly, suggest ways to reduce or eliminate them.
The Buffalo Grove Friends of the Parks Foundation was founded in 1994 to support the services of the Illinois Association of Park Districts. Their mission states, “For the physical and recreational well-being of the residents of the Buffalo Grove Park District, the Friends of the Parks Foundation is dedicated to supporting the district in the development and enhancement of its programs, services, facilities and planning.” Meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month starting at 8 am at the Alcott Center.
Awards & Recognition
- 2009 finalist for the National Recreation and Park Association Gold Medal Award.
- Certification of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for fiscal years 1998 through 2021.
- Accredited by the Park District Risk Management Association for its Loss Control Program.
- Accredited in 1995 as a Distinguished Accredited Agency; reaccredited in 2001, 2007, 2013, 2019 until next review in 2025.
- Northwest Suburban Regional Action Planning Project, First Place Youth Category in 1994 (Governor’s Hometown Award).
- 2004 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Single Catalog.
- 2005 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Catalog Cover Series.
- 2005 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Logo Design.
- 2006 National Recreation and Park Association KUDOS Marketing Award for Best Overall Communicator.
- 2011 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Catalog Series.
- 2013 Illinois Park and Recreation Association Award for Best Media Relations Campaign.
- Illinois Association of Park Districts Best of the Best Award for Intergovernmental Agreements in 2016, and Partnerships in 2022.
|Park District Staff – Key Contact Information|
|Executive Director||Ryan Risinger||847.850.2122|
|Deputy Director||Erika Strojinc||847.850.2133|
|Director of Parks and Planning||Tim Howe||847.850.2163|
|Director of Business Services and Human Resources||John Short||847.850.2114|
|Superintendent of Communications and Marketing||Mike Terson||847.850.2116|
|Superintendent of Information Technology and Front Office||Greg Ney||847.850.2127|
|Superintendent of Parks||Randy Smith||847.850.2166|
|Superintendent of Development||Mike Maloney||847.850.2109|
|Superintendent of Facilities||Jerry Kolodziej||847.850.2107|
|Superintendent of Recreation||Chuck Burgess||847.850.2125|
|Superintendent of Recreation||Diana Clayson||847.850.2149|
|Superintendent of Recreation||Chris Eckert||847.850.2123|
Agency Contact Information
530 Bernard Drive
Parks Division/Emmerich Park
150 Raupp Boulevard
Web Site Address
Buffalo Grove Park District Mission Statement
Enriching life and community through premier parks, programs and facilities. -Adopted January 2013